Thursday, March 16, 2006

Snarky McCheerfulpants

I just looked out the window and it's snowing again. Yesterday it was 42 degrees. Today we're supposed to get anywhere between 5 and 7 inches of snow (do you remember that album by that one-hit-wonder rapper Snow? I just remembered that and instantly returned to junior high... ...and I'm back). March is such a schizophrenic month.

Over the past few days I've been feeling a wee bit schizoid myself. I've been kind of cranky about this crocheted baby sweater class, because I have to work on it, rather than on what I want to work on, namely:


The cast-on stitches for the Tempting sweater, which I worked while my wrists were recovering (because that was all I could do, and I needed to work on something. You know). This is the Malabrigo 100% Merino in "Tiger Lily" and I loves it. It's mine, my own, my precioussssss.

(Oh, and I've been re-watching Lord of the Rings extended versions with the extra stuff. In case you were wondering.)

Or, I could be working on this:


which is the wedding shawl in its larval form. Yes, I have yet to seriously cast on for that thing. I'm annoyed with myself and with my wrists and with the crochet sweater class and with the weather, which has nothing to do with my ability to cast on, but is easily blamed because it doesn't talk back. Much.

I'd also like to be working this stuff up:


This is recycled sari rayon, and I have it earmarked for a throw pillow. Maybe I'll get another ball or 3 and do matching pillows for the couch. (Our current throw pillows are in a bad way.)

I'd even be happy to work on this thing:


My first ripple afghan. It's freaking huge. Five-and-a-half rows of this stuff takes up ONE skein of yarn. I think I have 9 skeins. Fortunately it's Red Heart TLC Essentials in "Falling Leaves" and I can find it anywhere, really.

Pica said something in the comments the other day about crochet being worked with acrylic, and knitting not so much. I'm so with her. I never got snooty about fiber until I started knitting, probably for two reasons. One, I was introduced to more varieties of fiber as my experience grew. Two, (and I must stress that this is only my opinion, and you can't flame me for having an opinion) I think knitting is prettier and is a better setting for prettier yarns. That's what I think.

So, what was my point? Oh yes, that I feel schizo for some reasons which I am in the process of outlining. To wrap up the first reason, I would rather be working on anything you saw above than on this crocheted baby sweater. I won't even show pictures because it is just so boring. It's just squares so far, and it's been making me crazy. (although the pattern-clarification went pretty well, minus the sleeves which I still have to work on--aaargh!) But, as today is my day off work I get to stitch on the sleeve (shudder) AND on the sweater and the shawl. Hooray!

I was also snarking because I had this big bill to pay, and I didn't think I'd be able to pay it. Sad! But then I did some looking-into and whatnot and I can pay it! Hooray! Working lots of overtime and not going buckwild on yarn has paid off! Happy! Exclamation points!!

Reason #3: Work was starting to make me nuts. Our town turns 150 years old this year (a mere babe compared to towns on the east coast, yes, but a big deal to us) and the Library is involved in the kicking-off of the celebrations due to the time capsule being buried on our grounds. I've been busy making informational bookmarks, posters, brochures and many other semi-exciting things for this event, which is April 2nd. Busy busy busy. Sad! But then I heard that we are getting raises for the first time in two(? three?) years. And I couldn't be happier. Happy!

And the best reason ever to be happy, despite the snarky weather, is that one year ago today, Nick asked me to marry him. We were on the shore of Lake Michigan and it was beautiful, and when he asked me to marry him I burst into tears and burst out laughing at the same time. One of my prouder moments, really.

No comments: