Friday, September 22, 2006

Teevee rots your brains

But I watch it anway.

Or at least, I get DVDs of the best shows and watch them without commercials. A year later. Because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for cable.

(But broadcast TV is free! you might say. Usually, you would be right, except DeKalb is in the middle of a vast sea of corn and is nowhere near any broadcast television station. We must purchase cable to get the free stations. This explains why DVD rentals are through the roof at the library, and why VHS is still popular. Anyway, I hate commercials and I hate most of what's on, so we don't have cable TV. So there.)

We have the Netflix, and we love it for its vast array of TV shows with which to occupy our time (or to provide us with knitting time), such as the following:

The Golden Girls
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
Lost
Deadwood
Battlestar Galactica
Penn & Teller's Bullshit
Rome

(Buffy & Angel aren't up there, because we own them. All of them. Yes.)

And here's our attempt at the create-your-own TV, courtesy of YouTube and House on the Rock. It's a wee bit lame, but it's our first attempt at the video function on our digital camera. Thanks to Nick for (... filming? digitizing?) this beauteous display of magic.

3 comments:

femiknitter said...

The Golden Girls?? That's totaly awesome. You should check out the West Wing. It's one of the best TV show ever. Seriously.

I'm not a huge TV fan either, but I still like having it on when knitting sometimes. I too prefer watching them on DVD years later--no wait between episodes!

Papermasks said...

Oh, it's all about Rome, baby! :-)

LinknKnits said...

We watch a lot of TV shows on DVD, too. We don't get any channels and are too cheap to get cable. ;-) Currently on our list is Simpsons (I own all 8 seasons that are out!), MASH, Scrubs, and Animaniacs... (I do love cartoons!). The good thing about shows on DVD is you get to selectively rot your brain!