Monday, August 14, 2006

Where the wild yarns are

Okay, so Stitches pretty much kicked my new-knitter ass.
But in a good way.

I rode in with Sandi, and we got there about 9:40am (we made pretty darn good time, I think. Nice driving, girlfriend).


Of course, Heather and her friend Shanelle (visiting from Indianapolis just for Stitches. Wouldn't you?) got there before we did and were second in line, waiting to go up the stairs to say hello to the waiting yarn.

(When the door guarders finally allowed us up the stairs, Heather charged up the stairs trying to outpace a very charming but highly competitive grandmother. I was laughing too hard to snap a good picture.)

At one point we saw some yarn that we know our LYS carries and Heather, being Organization Queen of The Day, panicked--what does the Yarn Exchange charge for this yarn? And dammit, we can't call them from here!

Oh yes we can, said I, exhibiting my geekitude by announcing that I had our LYS on speed dial.


I made my first purchase at Blue Moon Fiber Arts, getting some delightful colorways (Sherbet, Azurite, Ruby Slippers).

After that, my "budget" kind of got taken hostage by beautiful and seductive yarn. What can I say? It was my first huge yarn event. I'll know better next year, and start saving in March like some people.

Somewhere along the line someone (probably me, but we'll pretend it wasn't) freaked out because the ball band on some fabulous yarn gave only meters and we, being the anti-metric heads that we are, couldn't figure out yardage (why thank you, American educational system!). And this was when I fell in love with my new phone.

It has a unit converter. You darling, darling little thing. Thank you.


At lunch, we took a much-needed break and put yarn on our heads. It was with this stroke of genius (Heather's) that we met Heather's Knittyboard people.


And this lady, who let us share her lunch table and who probably thought we were off our rockers. But she played along and looked like a princess in her yarn tiara.

My dear, I didn't get your name. If you are reading, let me know who you are!

We met up with Anna, who mysteriously bought nothing but drove all the way to Rosemont to do it, and by 2:30pm Sandi and I were experiencing massive yarn overload--it got hard to distinguish between fibers and there was nowhere to look that wasn't covered in yarn. It was amazing, but we had to go. I could have been given Red Heart and told it was beautiful and I might have bought it (...maybe).

Heather and Shanelle, on the other hand, were going strong. This is where we parted ways:

They still had their sense of touch. (and look at them... don't they look blissful? I love this picture)

Sandi and I packed up and went home, tired but happy.
This is what came home with me:

The red/pink is Hot Foot superwash merino from The Village Spinning & Weaving Shop. It's going to be the Hourglass sweater, I think. Or I'll just pet it a lot.
The grey on the cone is alpaca/silk laceweight from Valley Yarns (Webs' house brand) in the light grey colorway. It will be a masterful lace shawl. As soon as I learn how to knit lace. Right.
The blue/purple is microfiber ribbon from Tess Yarns (feels like silk, drapes like a cat on linoleum in July, and the color is stunning), and it wants to be a sexy tank for glamorous parties where people will compliment me on my top and then fall down in disbelief when I tell them I knit it myself. Because I plan to go to so many of those kinds of parties.
The green is Nature Wool from Araucania Yarns (caveat: animated home page, may take some time to load), purchased from Webs. I think this yarn wants to be a cabled sweater for me.
And the sock yarn is Socks That Rock and I added the Fred Flinstone colorway just before I left stitches, because I still had a twenty dollar bill and for some reason I needed to spend it. And I needed autumnal socks, too. She rationalized.

I loved every minute of my shopping at Stitches (no classes, just shopping). It was great to feel all these amazing yarns that we don't normally get to touch, and it was awesome to be with my girlfriends who understand the whole yarn addiction. I would have been even more lost without Heather, who plotted her path along the aisles like she was stalking big game. Thank you, my dear, for your enthusiasm.

And yes, I will start saving up my pennies early on for next year's Stitches.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Aaaaah! Looks like so much fun!

froggiemeanie said...

"drapes like a cat on linoleum in July" - I love it! Great haul. Sounds like fun.