Sunday, January 22, 2006

Brain spasms

Today is all about the tiny soundbite (typebite?) of information. It seems I lose all capacity for coherence and prolonged attention span when I get my period. (Yes, that's right. I just told the internets that I have my period. My mom is going to be so scandalized--her eyebrows are going to just disappear into her hair.) I want to talk about lots of stuff, but then I can't sit still long enough to do it. The brain just doesn't want to --hey, was that a squirrel!?

Faster, Higher, Stronger, Knitty-er

This is just sweeping through blog-land like the wildfire. I joined the Knitting Olympics, which I'm sure I need not describe as it's possibly the most popular topic in the wool-based world just now.

I'm going to be making my first in-the-round project, a hat, in 16 days. Small beans to some, but the whole point is to take on a challenge at whatever level you find yourself. I find myself at the new-to-3D level. The awesome thing is, I have yarn for this already in my stash (pictures later), so I can count this toward stashbusting. Don't you love multi-tasking? Now all I need is dpns and lots of wine. Oh, and possibly a pattern. Or I could just frankenstein one from this book and give myself fits. Which will make me cry the most?

The Lloyd Scarf is Finished!! Mostly!!
Holy hell, I didn't think it was possible. But it is. (and the weather was nice enough to oblige with a pretty backdrop) (click to bigginate)



Okay, I still have ends to weave in (my least favorite part of stripes), but the knitting part is done. And I have mastered the crap out of 2x2 rib. Only, the binding off went a little loose. Not so loose that I ripped it back (are you nuts? This is already almost a month late!), but I had heard that most knitters bind off too tightly, so I took pains (pains, I say!) to make sure it was loose enough. Alas, too loose! Sigh. Putting that in the "lesson learned" pile and moving on.

Progress, Obstacle, Progress, Obstacle, Wine
So, the first wristie--now with increases!--is coming along beautifully. As you can see.



I had stopped in the middle of a row, (which I hate doing and did because I was meeting a friend who (whom?) I haven't seen in a hundred years and who was leaving the very next day for a YEAR-LONG TRIP TO AFRICA and so of course when she got to the table I jumped up and hugged her and we talked knitting--she knits! I love her!--but I didn't knit and instead we talked for hours and that's the story of stopping in the middle of a row) and last night started up again and knit three rows while Heather struggled with dpns and Lamb's Pride Bulky.

At the end of the third row I thought I saw a mistake. Back at the place where I had stopped in the middle of a row for two days. I swore, sighed dramatically, and proceeded to rip back three rows of perfectly good knitting. For no reason at all, as it turns out. There was nothing wrong with the knitting. Just the stupid knitter. Pass the Merlot.

The Day The Weather Came In
This has nothing to do with knitting, but everything to do with... weather. It was 50 degrees on Thursday last, and then Friday came and snowed us in. I think we got at least 7 inches of snow. Here's the aftermath on Saturday.





It sucked to drive home in on Friday night (so I heard), but it was lovely and calm on Saturday morning. Ah, the peace that is walking to work.

4 comments:

LinknKnits said...

The weather people were predicting that we were going to get that 7 inches of snow on Friday night... instead, we got rain. I see it got stopped up in your neighborhood! :-)

The knitting looks great!!

Anna said...

We must be thinking along the same lines as I signed up to knit a hat in the round too. I like the color of the wrist warmers.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures of DeKalb.

Anonymous said...

The mother is getting used to seeing all sorts of things in print. I guess it's progression from many late hours of being available to talk about anything with the daughters.

Lovely knitting, KathyMarie