Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The No-Knitting Content part of my Knitting Blog

I just realized that the last four posts of mine have been entirely without photos. That's boring. Really boring. So, to revitalize this blog, I give you pictures of what I've been up to during my non-knitting time.

1. I haven't had these since fourth grade





I now have bangs.

(I was going to talk only about this new haircut and title this post "She Bangs" [because for some reason Ricky Martin songs are burned into my brain and nothing NOTHING! can remove them] but I didn't want the really creepy perverts finding this site. I'm only comfortable with the sort-of-weird.)

The last time I had bangs was the fourth grade. I would get bored in class and just stare at my hair, which screwed up my vision, and which resulted in my not having bangs ever again (and also in my getting glasses in sixth grade, the end result of which are my new glasses visible in these fine photographs).

I got the rest of my hair cut, too, but I'm still not sure how I like it. The very enthusiastic stylist suggested layers, and I wanted a change so layers sounded really good. Then she took off so much hair that I feel dangerously close to mullet territory. THEN! she blow dried it all poofy and put more hairspray in it than I use in an entire year, and I looked like a lion. A lion, people. I've been wearing my hair up ever since.

2. What does a vegan have on her pizza?

We made pizza on Sunday night, using the following ingredients...


black beans...


diced cooked potato...


sauteed/carmelized onions (so tasty!)...


fresh mushrooms...


green olives (for which I have a mad passion)...


avocado (which we peeled and diced, of course)...


and fake mozzerella cheese, from Vegan Gourmet.

And pizza crust, and pizza sauce. And it all turned out amazing and tasty and good, but I didn't get a picture of the finished product because I was hungry like the wolf and ate it all up before I even thought of the camera. Best pizza I've had in a long time.

3. When you can't stitch, plan your next project!

Or your next project after the fifty in line ahead of this one.

There's this long story behind the pictures I'm going to show you, but as I want this post to be more about the pictures and less about me rambling on and on about some crazy story, I give you the pictures.


This is Nine-Patch Number One...


...and this is Nine-Patch Number Two.

I started making these squares about three years ago, thinking that I'd make Nick an afghan (a visible and warming manifestation of my love). Turns out these squares are pretty small (7 inches across). I've made 20 of the buggers, and I'm not making any more. My current plan is to (1) Weave in the ends, (2) Crochet them together, (3) Somehow make one afghan out of two giant squares. I think I'm going to crochet a border around the nine-patches, then attach the two and make that the central panel of the blanket, then work some basic stitch on the sides.

Easy as pie, right? I'll get to it right after I finish everything else.

It will make a great 15-year anniversary present.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

your bangs and glasses are as cute as a button... a button on the topcoat of a little baby kangaroo. a baby kangaroo with a topcoat! how cute is that?

it's as cute as you! that's how cute!

now you have joined me in the sisterhood of bang-ed women! hooray!

or... um... well... banged women? you know what i mean... right? right.

ActLikeOne said...

So now you're hair is shorter than mine again, even after I had 13-14 inches removed.

femiknitter said...

I was all prepared to cringe at the bangs after your email, but I really like them (and the glasses!). They frame your face really well! I'm not sure about the layers--you know how I feel about them. But who knows--I thought I would hate the bangs, and they're super cute, so maybe you will change my mind on the layers too. Maybe.

LinknKnits said...

Love the bangs!!!

Alison said...

Lookin' good! I got bangs three haircuts ago and love 'em. I last had them in middle school, but they were so wispy as to practically not exist (that was the closest I woudl get to the fad of wispy, very round bangs over your forehead with the stand up swooshy ones above). Grown up bangs are much better. :)

Anonymous said...

I too have been without bangs - but only since like 5th grade. I've come close (with long-ish bangs that are still below your cheekbone) but no bangs - my frizzy hair just doesn't do the bang thing real well.

Anyway - I like yours. It almost makes me want to get some. And the glasses round out the look.

Anonymous said...

I almost didn't recognize you! Scary thought. Have you lost a lot of weight?

Katherine said...

Thank you everyone for your supernice comments (I almost typed "superMice," which would have been amazing) about my bangs. I was not sure about them for a little while, and I'm still flicking them off my forehead, but I'm getting used to them. Thank you!

And Anonymous, I don't know who you are or when it was I saw you last, so I'm not sure if I've lost or gained a lot of weight since then. Let me know who you are and we'll figure it out!

Cheers, guys! You all made my day!