Friday, August 12, 2005

Listen to your Inner Hooker!

So, remember the baby blanket from yesterday? The one I worked up, then ripped out, then began to work up again? That one. Well, I think it's unhappy being worked in Red Heart Super Saver yarn. I think I'm unhappy working it up in Red Heart Super Saver.

As charming as the blanket is, I don't think it's reaching its full potential. It's rough, it's kind of scratchy, and the color just isn't turning my dials. And this is all my fault. When I was purchasing the yarn for the baby blanket (and yes, I did purchase all the yarn), I was definitely second-guessing my choice.

Me: I guess I'll go with the RHSS. Money's kind of tight just now, and this is pretty okay.
Inner Hooker: Are you serious? RHSS makes good grown-up afghans, but for a baby?
Me: Well, it's got these pretty colors.
IH: C'mon, you're smarter than that. Other yarns are just as pretty. Prettier, because they're softer.
Me: But they're more expensive.
IH: You twit. It's like 60 cents difference per ball.
Me: Nope, I've made up my illogical mind and I'm buying the Red Heart.

Now, months later, the Inner Hooker has spoken up and I'm beginning to see her reasoning. She's completely right. I was a twit. I will dispense with the RHSS and seek out new yarns, softer yarns, yarns compatible with baby! I will prevail!

However, now I'm stuck with all this damn RHSS white. Which reminds me...

Reminder to DeKalb Sit-n-Stitchers!
When next we meet, which will be 22 August 6:30-8:45pm, we will be Joining the Squares. It sounds all weird and mythical, but involves nothing more eerie than all of us converging on all those squares we made over the spring and early summer. We will be putting the afghan together (and this is where the RHSS White comes in handy) with RHSS White.

I have, as you may be aware, tons of spare RHSS White. Don't bring any of your own, I have plenty. Please bring: Yarn needle and crochet hooks (H through J, please). Thanks ever so. We'll have fun fun fun till the librarian kicks us out. I'll see about sneaking in some snackies for us, too.

That's all for now, but I leave you with this delightful photo, which my friend Tony took for me when he was in Hawaii last summer. Having missed his submarine (Navy man), he was forced to spend an extra 8 days on the islands (which you and I paid for, by the way). My jealousy and my tax-payer anger were abated somewhat by his promise of digital flowers. They abated completely when he followed through and sent them to me. He's a doll.



Woohoo!

No comments: